Dogs/Chihuahua breeding

At what age should you stop breeding Chihuahuas? I have a 4 year old male and am thinking of studding him out in the next year or 2. Will that be too old for him to be a stud? Of course before studding him I plan on getting all the required testing done.

Most breeders can use a male for a long time, however, after 10 years of age you must get DNA on him for AKC.  As long as he is comfortable and not hurting (arthritis, etc) you should be able to breed him once or twice a year until he is over 10 years.  

Nancy Perry

You can ask me anything on dog training, dog breeding, dog grooming. What type of dog you should get. Pertinent facts about different breeds. I am also specifically knowledgeable about terriers and the diets that help maintain coat excellence. I have trained and helped owners train their dogs.

I have worked in dog training for 35 years. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years..

Certified trainer with Petsmart Certified Groomer with Petsmart

approximatedly 2 to three hundred clients since 1993