Dogs/dog

Question
How do i no if my dog is in heat

Answer

Hi Kristen,

Often the first sign of a female dog coming "heat" is often swelling of her vulva. This swelling can occur anytime from a week before bleeding, to the day before. Other signs of heat are behavioral changes. Your dog may start to hump other dogs (no matter their gender) or or even your leg. She may also begin to lick herself a lot. Another sign your dog is going into heat is male dogs will be attracted to her. Do not leave your dog unattended outside, even if you have a fenced yard

A female should NEVER be bred on her first heat cycle and preferably not her second either. The rule of thumb that works best is to breed on the third season, or at one and a half to two years of age, and after all health tests have been passed.

Ideally, your dog should be spayed before she enters her first heat cycle. Dogs spayed before their first heat get significant health benefits, such as the deduced risk of breast cancer and diseases of the reproductive system. If you haven't spayed your dog, you should not delay in doing so. Many communities have reduced cost spay programs. Locate a program in your area here:

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/spayneuter?gclid=CPyHqZ-fr7gCFQyi4AodUAYAcQ

Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti