Dogs/dogs not getting along

Question
My boyfriend moved in with his 3 year old basset hound and a couple of months later I desired to get an American PitBull terrier mix puppy.  For 2 months they got along great.  Always playing and really close.  Recently the basset hound has started attacking my puppy who is now almost 6 months.  My puppy has gashes on his body from the Bassett who remains scar less. My boyfriend is scared they are gonna kill each other and I dont want my puppy getting hurt any more. They have only fought a couple of times and it mostly has to do with possessions.  I dont wanna get rid of my puppy but I dont know what to do. Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Sara,

Thank you for your question. This is a pretty common problem when we have 2 dogs. One has to be the alpha dog. The best way is to have them meet outside of the home and bring them in together but we cant do this now so we need to come up with a solution to the 2 dogs in the house together problem.

You can try to determine whether the aggressive dog simply plays rough and acts pushy, or is seriously aggressive. One way is to observe a fight that breaks out. Dogs that don't want to inflict damage grab around the ears, sides of the neck and shoulders. True aggressors aim for the front legs, the throat, the belly and the eyes. The non-aggressor may grab the aggressor by the ear and hold on, so that the aggressor cannot get to his throat.

If they fight give your pit/terrier mix a treat and give him a good deal of attention and do this in front of the basset.

You can also try to clap your hand when the basset starts to play rough and if the hand clap stops him,give him a treat and a good deal of attention...let him know he was a good boy for not fighting. Keep in mind that most dogs have the IQ of a 3 year old and can understand up to  300 words. If they are fighting over possessions just buy 2 of each toy.

If they go outside together let the basset be the first one out and first one in. He is the Alpha and this would help things out. Same with feeding,feed the basset first.

This will make the basset feel like the alpha and it might calm him down and stop most of the fighting. Your dog will be fine falling in behind the basset and will most likely treat him like a big brother.

If you find that none of these things are working you can try a dog trainer. I hope that this will work for you. If its not feel free to e-mail me and i can look into this more. I enjoy helping people with dogs so the time i spend is fun time for me ;-)

Best of luck
Gary
thepuppyguy@yahoo.com  

Dogs

Gary