Dogs/To many fleas

We have three inside dogs. Recently we've become overwhelmed by fleas. What's the best and fasted way to get rid of fleas in our house and off our dogs? I've put fleas powder on them. It doesn't seem to be working. Also one of my dogs have started to get red bumps around his mouth maybe from biting at the fleas while the powder is still on him. Please help!

Hi Stephanie,

We typically do not like chemical flea treatments but when you have an infestation, it can become necessary.

It's not something you want to do every month as it will wreak havoc on a dogs immune system but you want quick action to save your dogs from becoming allergic to fleas. During a bad infestation, we typically recommend one or two months of usage.

The good thing about the chemical treatments is that they kill the eggs as well. This will help to prevent a continuing cycle.

That is going to be the key, stopping the cycle.

If you really do not want to use a chemical treatment, there are other alternatives available. Their are natural topical treatments as well as a new one we recently heard of called Comfortis. This is actually a pill form of treatment.

We've heard good things about Comfortis as far as being more natural and easier on your dogs, you have to get it from your vet. You can find out more information here:

So using one of the above products will take care of the dogs. Now you have to rid the house of the fleas and their eggs.

You will obviously have to wash all their bedding and any blankets, sheets, etc. that they come into contact with. You may have to do this often during the cycle.

If you have carpet areas, we suggest using Borax laundry soap. You just sprinkle some in one or more areas that you can cover with a blanket. Let it sit for 24 hours then vacuum well.

You have to keep vacuuming every day for a while. Empty or change your vacuum bag often and tie it up in a garbage bag. The fleas can live through the vacuuming and get back out in your house.

Repeat this process throughout the house. You have to be very diligent and stay in attack mode for a while to really get rid of them.

This takes care of the dogs and inside the house. You can be assured they are probably outside as well. Most of the chemical and natural flea products will be able to repel fleas while outside but if you feel their is an infestation out there as well, you can spread a product called diatomaceous earth. It is a very fine powder that you can spread on the grass. Their are other flea control products for outdoors available at most hardware stores. You can go in and talk to them about the most popular ones.

Like I said, you're going to have to be very much in attack mode for a while to get rid of these pest. They can take hold and dig in very well.

You also want your dogs to be in top health. A good strong healthy coat is a deterrent for fleas. They really like the smelly dogs and ones with weak immune systems.

This is really my specialty, the diet. It makes a huge difference what you feed as it does with us humans. If you would like me to evaluate their diet, I would be happy to do so.

If so, please just respond back to this same question and let me know everything that is in their diet. Include brand names so I can look up ingredients.

Also, let me know their health status, any past issues, current weight issues and their age.

A balanced diet will enable a dog to live a long happy, vet free life. You can never give a good balanced diet out of just one bag or can. They need supplements to make their meals balanced.

I hope this information helps and you get rid of those fleas. If I can do anything else, let me know.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.