Dogs/Hair Loss on Catahoula Mountain Cur

My family adopted a Catahoula . Mountain Cur fron our local Humane Society. She is losing her hair all the way down her back, a little on her ears, and a little on her legs. Her tail is docked, and the poor thing has hardly any hair on her nub. The Humane Society had a skin scrape done, and the test was negative for the mange. They also told mr that she was losing her hair because of the stress of being in the pound. I am just trying to find out what I can do about the hair loss, because the poor thing is constantly itching. We need to find a way to get her hair to grow back. I got some spray for skin iritations, and I gave her a bath using oatmeal shampoo. Also, she is suppose to be Full Blooded Catahoula Cur, but she looks like a Doberman. Do you know if the 2 breeds look similar? Thank You for any info you can give me, to help our new baby...

Hi Michelle,

A skin scraping and microscopic examination of a dog's skin won’t always reveal the presence of mange (which are actually mites). On average, only 20% of infected dogs will have mites on a random skin scraping. Your dog needs to be examined by a veterinarian and have another skin scrape test run. Sometimes when the symptoms are very obvious, and the diagnostic text comes back negative, treatment is begun anyway due to the chance of a "false negative".

There are a couple of other conditions that cause severe itching and hair loss, you should discuss these possibilities with your vet: such as the possibility your dog is allergic to something, ringworm,  hypothyroidism (also called Cushings Disease), a Thyroid problem. Treatments will vary depending on what is actually wrong with your dog. Your dog can't start regrowing her hair until the condition that's causing the itch is dealt with.

Your dog is really suffering with the itch. Along with getting a diagnosis and treating the problem, your dog would benefit from medication to help with the itch. Your vet might prescribe an antihistamines or corticosteroids for itch relief. Because your dog is suffering, you should not delay in having him examined. If it's at all possible, you should try to have a veterinary dermatologist examine your dog. A veterinary dermatologist is a specialist who deals with skin problems. If your regular local vet can't give you a referral to a veterinary dermatologist, you might be able to locate one here:

I guess a Mountain Cur could look sort of like like a Doberman, but it would depend on your dog's coloring and weight. A Doberman usually has a longer muzzle and has a deeper chest.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.