Dogs/Killing fleas in carpets.

Question
I found recipe for killing fleas in the carpet using epsom salt and pennyroyal oil. It says to sprinkle on carpet and vacuum. It didn't say how long to keep it on the carpet. Do I vacuum it right away? If not, can I cover it with a big sheet of plastic until it should be vacuumed up? Thanks for taking my question and I am open to any other suggestions you have. Thanks again!
Angie

Answer
Hi Angie,

I've never heard of using epsom salt and pennyroyal oil. It may work, I don't know, just don't know anyone who have used that combination.

What we do and recommend to our customers is to use Borax Laundry soap. Maybe the ingredients are similar. But it does work.

You simply sprinkle some on a carpeted area that you can cover with sheets or blankets and leave sit for 24 hours. Then vacuum daily for a while. You can then move to other areas.

Empty your vacuum bags often as fleas can still crawl out if it.

I would imagine the ingredients you talk of should have the same recommendations.

You can usually find the Borax soap in most grocery stores in the laundry section.

If you're looking for something for your pets, there is a new product out called Comfortis. It's a prescription pill that you simply give to your pet.

We're not big fans of chemical flea treatments unless you have a really bad infestation. Then it should only be used one or two months. But never just every month as it will destroy a dogs immune system.

We've heard good things about Comfortus, you can find more information about it here: http://www.comfortis.com/

Let me know if you should have any further questions. My specialty on this forum is in pet nutrition. Should you want me to evaluate your pet diet, I would be happy to do so. If you do, just reply back and let me know everything that is in their diet, including brand names.

Let me know if I can do anything else for you,

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey