Dogs/NEEDS to have her nails trimmed

Question
I have a 6 lb Yorkie that is a rescue, we've had her about a year, and the vet thinks she's about 3 years old - when I take her to get her nails trimmed it's EXTREMELY traumatic for her.  they have to put a muzzle on and she jerks around, and tries to bark and bite, which is not like her at all - she NEEDS to have her nails trimmed about once a month, but it's SO traumatic that I hesitate to bring her, how can I make this situation better?

Answer
Get yourself something like the Peticure, which is basically a dremel tool. I would have a muzzle for her, just in case, but do small amounts of trimming with her and praise her when she is still and quiet (and when the dremel is NOT in contact with her nails). Basically, you do a little bit, stop, praise (if it is appropriate at that time), and start again. You may have to have someone initially hold her for you. This will be a long process, but she should improve with time. http://www.peticure.com/

I once groomed a dog who hated having the hair pulled out of his ears; he would try to fight tooth and nail. It took me a year of work, but he eventually learned to tolerate what I was doing.  

Dogs

Karen Brittan