Dogs/Great Pyrenees

Question
we have a 4 week old Great Pyrenees puppy, she is starting to eat canned soft food. and i just have couple of questions. 1st i'm asking about vaccination, what type of vacc and how many times do i need to vacc her and about dewormer and what kind of dewormer and when should i deworm her.i'm also asking about should i feed her raw food when she gets older and how often and what kind of raw food. she is going to be an LGD. thank you so much

Answer
Hello,

Work with your vet for her shots. She will need all the standard vaccinations. She will need the series that your vet will help you with.

After that, it is getting more commonly known that years booster shots are not needed and can cause more harm than good. Many main stream vets are becoming aware with this and are starting to advise against over inoculations.

If you live in city limits, most cities require at least a rabies shot yearly. Depending on your location and activities with her, other updates such as for kennel cough may be recommended.

Address these concerns with your vet. If your vet does not know about these recent findings, then you might look for another vet.

If you have a holistic vet in your area, I would go see them. They are the most up to date on all this stuff as they practice healing naturally and have all the credentials that a regular vet has.

They will also be able to help you with a raw food diet and proper supplements for her. Search for one in your area and go talk to them, this is the best thing you will do for her.

I'm not sure about the worming and age appropriate treatment. Again, the holistic vet or even your standard vet is the best to answer those questions.

You have to remember, I'm not a vet, my specialty and expertise on this forum is in canine nutrition.

I'm a firm believer in a raw food diet for any dog or cat. If you want your pet to have the best chance at living the longest and remaining healthy, you feed them a species appropriate diet. Dogs were never meant to eat a cooked food diet and when you go against mother nature, bad things have a much higher chance of happening.

Feeding her the canned foods is fine for now. Once she is a few months old and through her vaccinations, I would look into transitioning her to a raw food diet.

You can start giving her enzymes and probiotics as a supplement. You can get these in powder form at most natural pet food stores. You just sprinkle a little on at each meal time. This will help her digest her foods and provide probiotics to help fight diseases.

When you cook foods, you destroy these vital nutrients so that is why you must supplement them back into the diet. These are the most widely missed nutrients in pets diets these days.

All the canned and bags of food are missing these nutrients so their diets are NOT complete. Adding enzymes and probiotics to a pets diet is the number one thing anyone can do for their pet.

We feed a raw food diet exclusively to our dogs and cats and we still add additional enzymes and probiotics to each meal just to give their digestive system that much more help.

The digestive system is the heart of their immune system, keeping a good strong digestive system will then provide a much stronger immune system.

There are many pet food manufacturers who are producing packaged raw food for pets. These are great and make feeding raw much easier. They are typically ground up together with bones for calcium and organ meat for added nutrients and many add different amounts of vegetables for fiber and other nutrients.

One national manufacturer is Natures Variety. They produce canned, dry, raw, and freeze dried. You can read more about the diets on their site at: http://www.naturesvariety.com/

You can also put in your zip code to find where to buy their products in your area. Other manufacturers will probably be sold there as well.

If you can find a local source, it will probably be a little less expensive. These guys are the highest we sell at our store but they are a good food.

I know cost will be an issue with most people. Especially ones with big or multiple dogs. But you do feed a lot less of raw because of the higher absorption rate.

You can just feed raw on a part time basis. Even a little in a diet will add good health benefits. The more you can do, the better.

Finding a holistic vet or at least a vet in your area that supports a raw food diet will be able to help you with all this.

Most regular vets do not recommend raw foods as they don't know anything about this kind of diet. You have to remember, regular vets are trained in medicine and not nutrition. Many people unfortunately make this mistake and rely on their vet for food recommendations not knowing that if they have had any training in nutrition, it would be very little and most likely sponsored by one of the big grain company dog food producers who put out high grained based dry foods, the worse thing you can give your pet.

If you are on a budget, then yes, you can add a good dry food to her diet. But you should never do more than about 50%. Too much dry foods make a dog live in a mild state of dehydration. There is just no moisture in dry foods and this causes problems.

You should be feeding her 3-4 times a day for a while. Make it smaller and more often meals instead of bigger less frequent ones.

Switch her foods often. Give her different things all the time. Variety creates a stronger digestive system.

There are many good books on the market for feeding regular foods and the raw food diets. Just remember, as many people there are, that's how many opinions you will get. You have to wade through all this and see what makes the most sense to you.

We wrote a book on the basics of choosing dog foods, reading labels and supplements. We didn't get into the raw food very much as that is another subject and we are writing a book on that as well.

If you have a Kindle or Kindle app on your computer, you can get a copy of our book on Amazon for just $2.99. Of you can get a paper back for around $8. It's a quick read and good primer book and will start your learning process. Never stop learning about her diet and supplements, she will thrive better for your efforts.

If you want to check it out, it's at: http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Food-Decoded-Choose-Healthy-ebook/dp/B008LX6WGY/ref=tm

I hope I answered most of your questions. After reading through this if you have additional questions, please feel free to respond back. I can help break things down more or answer additional questions you may have. I'll be happy to help if I can.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey