Dogs/1yr old English Bulldog

Jack is 1 year old Bulldog in good health.  However he is getting little misquito like bumps on entire body area (10-15) pea size.  They don't itch and actually seem to come and go.  He is bathed weekly with oatmeal base shampoo.  Worried our last American Bulldog passed of cancer skin type illness.  Thank You

Hi Brenda,

I can understand your apprehension about skin cancer. A skin cancer might have a bad smell, and would probably be a mass that is not resolving by itself and grows larger over a period of time.

Since the bumps don't itch, aren't crusty and don't smell they may not be mosquito bites (or flea bites) or a yeast infection, which is a common problem in the Bulldog breed. It also don't sound like Seborrhea because you didn't mention dry dandruff-like flaking. Your dog might have some sort of an allergy, or a superficial bacterial skin infection, or about 100 other things. There's no way to guess (and your dog deserves more than guesswork), which is why your dog needs to be seen by a vet. Your best bet for an accurate diagnosis and treatment is an exam by your veterinarian. Prompt treatment of the condition will probably mean a faster recovery time.

Has a veterinarian advised you to bathe your dog on a weekly basis? Over bathing could cause skin problems in dogs. Bulldogs need to be bathed once every two months, and then only if it's needed. For most dogs, regular brushing will keep the coat and skin in good condition and eliminates the need for frequent baths. You might be able to make due with spot cleaning areas that seem to need a cleaning.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.