Dogs/litter training

12 days back i have got a german sheperd puppy to my house he is 60 day old now i am somehow unabe to litter train him. I have a back yard and a front garden too. I have tried with treats when ever he litters outside i have also tried to punish him whenever he letters inside the house. i take him out very frequently like every hour or so, sometimes he goes out comes back and litter inside the house, its getting very frustrateing . I really cant understand that he even understans me or not

Kindly advice

Hi Abhinav,

Sorry for the delay in answering your message. I actually answered it on the day I received it. There must have been a computer glitch because for some reason it was still in my "pending messages" folder.

First, never yell at, or punish a puppy for relieving itself in your home. A young puppy such as yours has no idea why you're upset. A puppy doesn't gain control over it's bowel or bladder until it's at least 16 weeks old, and even then they can't "hold it" for every long.  If your puppy is having accidents in your home, you're not getting him outside as often as he needs to go! Your puppy is still at an age where he may have to relieve himself as often as once every 3 hours.

The BIG keys to house training are:
1. Get the puppy outside BEFORE he has an accident.
2. Don't give him the run of your home when unsupervised.
3. Have a containment area where your puppy stays when you are unable to supervise him.

If you catch your puppy in the act of have an accident, don't over-react…just interrupt the puppy (with a firm "NO!") and take him immediately. If you scream, yell, hit, rub his nose in it, etc., you are likely to make him afraid of you, and teach him it is not safe to "go" in your presence.
If you FIND an accident after the fact, it's your own fault for not keeping track of your puppy. Clean the mess without yelling or fanfare, and use an enzymatic cleaner, such as Nature's Miracle, so your puppy won't be attracted back to the spot. Promise yourself you'll pay better attention to your puppy next time.

If you get into the habit of using a "cue word" or phrase when you take your pups to the toilet area, you can teach them to eliminate on command. When you reach the toilet area walk back and forth or circle around and around. At the same time say and repeat a cue word you would like to attach to the act of your dog eliminating. Phrases like "hurry up" , "do your business", etc. but just pick out a cue word or short phrase and stick with it. In your puppies mind you are building an association between the cue "hurry up!" and him emptying out. This is the first obedience training command you will teach your young pup.
If your puppy does eliminate continue to repeat your cue word and the instant your dog finishes doing his business enthusiastically praise and reward him with a small tasty treat. Make it clear that you are very happy with him!
If after 3-4 minutes of circling around your puppy shows no signs of needing to eliminate take him back to it's confinement area and try again in about twenty minutes….letting him have the run of your home, when you know he needs to relieve himself is setting him up to have an accident in your home!

Crate training a young puppy who can't yet control his bladder or bowels is setting him up for house training accidents in the crate, and that will counteract using the crate as a house training tool. A crate is not a place to be soiled in! Rather than crating your puppy for such a long period of time during the day, confine him to part of a room with child-gates, or use an indoor puppy pen, such as this one:

Whether you confine your puppy to part of a room (by using child gates), or use a pen, paper the entire confinement area with a thick layer of newspaper, so cleanups will be easier. Your puppy has no idea what "puppy pads" are for, and if they get used, it's literately a case of hit or miss. For now, use the crate for short periods when you're at home but can't be supervising him, and during the over night.
It's best to put the crate next to your bed so that you can hear him if he gets restless and needs to go outside.  This also gives you the chance to work with him to learn how to be quiet while in his crate. Besides, putting him in another room over night is just more time that your puppy is alone, and he's got far too much of that already.

Here are some web sites with good advice on house training puppies:

Best of luck (and sorry again for the delay!)

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.