Hello. I recently had my 15 month Great Dane neutered. After his procedure his scrotum had swollen to the size of grapefruit and had started bleeding so we took him back to the vet. He ended up having to have a scrotal ablation. It has been a week and the swelling has gone done in his penal area, but there is still minimal swelling near the incision. However, when he sits he is smearing blood. It's not oozing and doesn't seem to be excessive but I was unsure if this is normal. I have had him crated most of the day with exceptions to potty breaks and he has had his e-collar on for a week. Should I continue to keep him crated?

Thank you!

Hi Olivia
I humbly apoligise for my tardy response time but I had  family death and everything went crazy.
I know youve probably already dealt with your prob and for that Im sorry. ..but what I wouldve said was.....please take your poor baby to a different vet assp. That horrible outcome should not have happened and I'd be demanding some answers and not paying the bill til I was 110% satisfied.  Your poor boy.
I dont like crating at best of times so Id have him out so he can now move and not stiffen up and end up with adhesions in his scrotum from lack of movement. Ensure he doesn't go belting around and tear anything as it will be compromised down there with 2 procedures so he needs to take it slow and steady.....IF he can being 15 mths ha ha...
Im sure youve taken him for his post op check?  Is there still drainage from wound? Having been cut twice he'll have a small amount of heamoserrous leaking which is blood and body fluid but it shouldn't go on for several days....most 2-3 days. If area stays swollen, smells, gets red and hot and hes not eating drinking peeing (especially peeing) or pooping he could have an infection so keep doing what you are which is watching noting and asking but start back on normal regime like suggested.  Well done.
Id be taking him to a different vet for a review asap as neither of you should have gone thru that.
So yes out if crate for sure. Back to routine but gently for a couple of weeks and if all drying up and looking clean and neat then on the road to recovery!
Again Im very sorry but pls feel free to contact me again as I certainly wont be late again!
Look after yourself and your boy.....well done !!

I am not a veterinarian but I do have some medical understanding and knowledge through years of experience and shelter work, but I am not prepared to give life or death medical advice and suggest if you have medical concerns you seek the advice of a QUALIFIED VET immediately for your family members' safety, health and well being. Agreed? Great! I have worked in an animal shelter,also owned dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, fish, ferret, mice, oh and green tree frogs! They have all been spoiled rotten and lived to long, long old ages in pure contentment. During their lifespans I've had to manage the puppy stage of nappies and broken sleep, toddler stages, teens, maturity & elderly citizens....they are all very different with very different needs. I've dealt with various health concerns, behavioral issues, training & obedience, safe housing & lifestyle issues, exercise, toys & enrichment, safety, grooming, diet, euthanasia and so forth. I am experienced in the above and more, so would be happy to pass on my knowledge and experience if you have concerns with your "4 legged family member" I will answer your questions as quickly as possible and provide you with the best answer from my knowledge & ability. If its beyond me, I will be honest and not lead you astray, but instead direct you to someone/somewhere that can assist you further. I'm in South Australia and have good Intel on what is available and where! I appreciate that your 'baby' means the world to you,so please........ don't waste precious time online if its a medical issue or emergency of any proportion-contact your NEAREST VET STAT! I look forward to hearing from you & thanks for considering my assistance!

Young Animal Protection Society (YAPS) North Queensland (volunteer employment for 9 years) - rehab of cats and dogs all breeds, ages and backgrounds - Exercise dogs - Wash and clean kennels, cages and bedding - Prepare feed and special diets, feed all animals - train and work on behavioral issues - Monitor animals and vet needs- take when required - collect strays and follow council procedures and by laws - groom, bathe and provide allergy treatment - administer heartworm, flea, tick and worm preventatives - play and provide enrichment activities - special work with dogs with mild food/toy/dog aggression, fear, anxiety and/or mistreatment to re-establish trust and faith - Assistant Vet Nurse at Beach Road Veterinary Clinic Nth Qld Pet owner of: Pure bred German Shepherds x 2 (both males)fully obedience trained to hand signals Pure bred Australian Silky Terriers x 3 (males) Pure bred Chihuahua (male) White male ferret various goldfish, tropical and Beta's(bred Beta's) Two mice and couple of green tree frogs when younger 4 cats male - 2 male moggies, and CURRENT- 2 females ages 12 & 13, mum & daughter(PART PERSIAN Torty -assisted at birth of 4 babies, broke sacs, got breathing etc.... CURRENT: Pure bred male blue English Staffy at 5 mths Various Strays and "foster" kids over the years

Animal Welfare League WSPA Port Adelaide Dog Obedience Club

non medical Cert III & IV in animal care