Dogs/Nutrition for Panosteitis-Thanks in advance!

Hello Roger and thanks in advance for your time/help. My 1 year old German Shepherd just got diagnosed with Panosteitis, which showed up in his right rear leg. I was given an anti-inflammatory medication, but after researching it and seeing many horror stories about it I don't feel comfortable giving it to him. What is a supplement and/or food products I can give him that have anti-inflammatory properties? He has been eating "Taste of the Wild" "Pacific Stream Adult Formula" (Salmon/Sweet Potato/Whitefish based) as recommended by the vet earlier in his puppyhood due to allergies. Now after getting his diagnosis I've read on German Shepherd forums that this might have too much calcium and could have contributed to his problem. Can you offer any advice on what I should do? Thanks again!

Hi Autumn,

I haven't heard of this before so I did look it up. It does sound painful.

I can't ethically tell you to go off any prescription medications (but it is a good idea). But I can give you some ideas about other anti-inflammatory supplements.

The problem is that I don't know how bad the Panosteitis is and if the lessor potent anti-inflammatory supplements will be as effective. Typically prescriptions are much more potent than supplements but therein is the problem with most of them.

The diet is a big thing. The Taste Of The Wild is a good grain free food. You didn't mention if it was the dry food or canned food or both as it does make a difference. The calcium should be rated in any commercial foods and typically lacking in most so it's hard for me to believe that to be the case.

In our opinion, dry foods offer very little nutritional value. Even the best dry food in the world is the worst diet for any dog. It can be a part of there diet if it is a budget thing. But if you don't have to feed dry, I wouldn't.

The raw food diet is the best in the world for any dog. Especially ones that are fighting ailments. This diet provides them a high moisture diet along with the "live" nutrients they need to make their diets balanced.

No dry or canned foods will be balanced because they are missing certain "live" co-factors. The two biggest ones are the enzymes and probiotics.

These two nutrients are the number one supplement you can give to your pet. They thrive in a raw food or "live" food diet but are destroyed when cooked. So there's the problem with cooked dry or cooked can foods.

A raw food diet that is "balanced" will provide good anti-inflammatory properties. Mother nature designed our dogs to eat this type of diet and thrive. She did not ever intend for them to eat a cooked food diet. This is why so many dogs are having so many ailments and allergies. It weakens their immune systems.

If this diet sounds like something you are interested in, you can write back and we can discuss it further.

A very good natural anti-inflammatory supplement is one called serapeptase. I use this myself and it is very good for dogs. It's one of the best anti-inflammatory supplements. You can get it for people at almost any health store or on the internet. I like Doctors Best for myself and you can give these to your pet.

If you want to find out more about this supplement and pets, visit and you can learn more there. You can buy there product or just get the same potency for humans version. It's all the same.

Other good anti-inflammatory supplements are ones like turmeric (curcumin), fish oils, most green powder supplements like spirulina and wheat grass.

I'm fairly confident that using some of these will provide the anti-inflammatory properties your dog needs instead of using the prescriptions. You would probably just have to start with one or more of these items and reduce the prescription as you go. Once your all the way off, you will just have to judge for yourself as to its effectiveness.

The benefits of using these natural products is that they help the whole body as well.

Always follow up with your vet for checkups.

If you want a more in depth look and backing on this, I would seek out a holistic vet in your area and take him to them.

They can take a close look all over him and see what your regular vet has prescribed and I'm sure give you alternatives.  

We love our vets for what they do and that is the medical side of things. But when it comes to nutrition and alternatives to prescriptions, they are just not trained in this. The holistic vets are.

So those are some suggestions to think about and try if you would like.

Like I said, if you want to talk about transitioning to a raw food diet, write me back and I can help you with the transition.

It would be the best thing you can do for him for a long, healthy life.

Either way, good luck and let me know if you have any more questions.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.