Dogs/things that i thought was just dirt.. bleed when i sprayed Windex on them..

Does anyone have an idea what these things are?? They are very tiny like poppy seeds. I couldn't tell if they were moving or not.. but when I sprayed a bug that was being a pest with Windex these things I thought was just dirt was pouring out blood...It's freaking me out and I'm taking my animals to the vet tomorrow morning, since they are closed today. But they are mainly where my animals lay at... Can anyone help me?

Hi Christina,

What you might be seeing is "flea dirt", which is the waste product left by fleas. When it's rehydrated, it looks rusty colored.

Many times you don't see the actual fleas, but only the waste they leave behind. You might also see flea dirt if you part your pet's hair, and see pepper-like flecks of this black stuff.  You can test to see if these flecks are flea dirt by putting a couple of these dark flecks of the dirt on a paper towel, moisten it with a couple of drops of water, and wait to see if it turns to that rusty red color.

A good flea control product should be used if it turns out this is a flea problem. Not only because of the itching, but because fleas can spread disease. You can also use food grade diatomaceous earth both on your pets, in their bedding and in your home (not the kind used near swimming pools, it has to be food grade).

Read about flea preventatives here:

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.