Dogs/Doberman's pregnancy

I bred my doberman female, and they mated several times. I did not write the date down, as I was moving and thought I would remember it. I was going by start date, instead of end of mating date. I am not sure if my bitch is actually pregnant or if she is going through a false pregnancy. She has all of the symptoms, enlarged teets, swollen belly, looks pregnant. I took her to vet for x-ray, and saw no pups. The vet said it could be a false pregnancy..??? Or I could have taken her in too early to tell. If it is false, would she keep getting larger? or will she start losing weight? She is still gaining in the belly region, but I can't seem to feel any pups. She should be due within 1.5/2.5 weeks, so not sure if I should watch her closely, or what happens if she is not actually pregnant? Does she still pass fluids? Where does all the weight gain dispel to? She seems to get larger daily, so not sure if she is actually going to have pups or not.... please help, uncertain of situation.

Hi Kimla,

If your vet couldn't see puppies in the x-ray, and the diagnosis was false pregnancy, you should take your dog back to the vet since her condition is persisting. Symptoms of a false pregnancy usually subside without doing anything in approximately 14-21 days. If your dog's condition is going on for a longer period of time she may need hormonal medications.

At this point, an ultrasound would be a definitive diagnostic test to rule out the presence of puppies.

Often, a dog that has false pregnancies is spayed, as the ultimate cure for the condition, because it's possible to reoccur in the future.

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.