Dogs/dog behaviours

Hi shelly, I am in the UK and have 5 working gundogs, 2 bitches and 3 dogs. One of my boys (who still has all his bits and pieces) has recently stared howling for no reason. This is when we are all at home, when my husband Is out and he is separated from some of the pack, when he's on his own and when we are all together and at night. So anytime he feels like it! He also jumped the gate in the garden today which is really not like him. He's been checked out by the vet and there are no medical issues so I am getting slightly anxious to find an answer as he is obviously not happy about something. He lives in the house with all of us and there has been no changes to diet or new baby's or anything like that. Any help would be gratefully received! Many thanks Hannah

Hi Hannah

Thank you for writing to me about your howling dog.  The only thing that immediately comes to mind is to have him neutered.  He may be anxious due to a female in heat that he can smell.

Otherwise take him for a second medical opinion.

Best of luck,
Shelley Davis

Shelley Davis

Cageless Country Boarding, Holistic Health Concerns, Behavorial Concerns.

Crusader in the founding of Dog Runs in NYC Parks, instrumental in changing the law in NY State which allows Pet Facilitate Therapy into Acute Care Hospitals, accomplished artist and craftsperson, certified by Red Cross in pet first aid, pioneer in Children Reading To Dogs program in Ulster Co. NY, founder of Bed & Biscuit:Where Dogs Run Free,