Dogs/liver supplements

hi Roger,
is there any food or supplement that supports/improves liver function in dogs?

Hey Jon,

Milk Thistle is one of the best supplements for aiding and cleansing the liver for both dogs and humans.

There are several products on the market that contain milk thistle for dogs, we carry a couple in our store.

Look in your local natural pet food store or online. You can also purchase it at your local drug store but if you can find it specifically for dogs, the dosing is easier.

If you only have it with human dosing, you can use a general guideline such as a 100lb dog is equal to a standard adult dose. So if your dogs weighs 50lbs, then he would get a half human adult dose and so on.

If you are dealing with high liver enzymes, look to your diet for help as well. Feed very little dry food if possible. Feed good quality proteins with some good grains if there are no other issues going on.

Stay away from bad ingredients such as wheat, corn, soy, by-products, artificial coloring's, preservatives and chemicals.

If you would like further evaluation for the diet, just reply back to this question and let me know everything that is in your pets diet, including brand names. I will be happy to help if I can.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.