Dogs/I have read your bio, and I will read and rate fairly.

Question
QUESTION: My six year old Bichon Poodle Quincy is a very vibrant character but when I put his jacket on he can stand in the same spot for about a good hour like a statue. Where I live it gets cold and he is in the house most of the day so I worry that he will get too cold quickly. Is there way that I could train him to like or even just wear the coat because for a dog that is really joyful it scares me when he just stands in one spot and does not move.
Also I have a six year old English Bulldog Cherri whose very loving to people but when she is around other dogs she turns very vicious and is extremely territorial. Quincy and Cherri are sole mates and get along great but if she goes after another dog he will follow. When they were younger a Saint Bernard and another little dog that lived next to us kept jumping over the fence and she would hide. She is a very nervous dog too; if you walk up to her too quickly she will fall out or if she hears the vacuum or loud sounds she will hide. I am not sure if seeing other dogs is anxiety for her or if she is just being a bulldog. What is the best way to reduce her anxiety? How can I change the behavior so that she is able to be around other dogs without the owners being uncomfortable? What should I do to get her to focus on me when she sees other dogs?

ANSWER: Hi Samantha,

I would like to respond to your question, but I need you to take a few moments to read my biographies and promise me that you'll read my response promptly, and rate it fairly when you read it. I'll have some suggestions for Quincy, but Cherri will likely need a bit of help with a professional trainer, so if you're going to be upset that I can't address Cherri's issues in this context on Allexpert's, then let me know, as I won't receive a fair rating unless you understand and accept the constraints of what advice I can give here and what can be accomplished. I want to make sure you have realistic expectations and don't feel short-changed, and understand that for serious issues such as you've described with Cherri, there are no quick fixes which can be explained and applied in a venue such as this. :-)

Quincy in Jacket
Quincy in Jacket  
QUESTION: I do understand fully that quick fixes are not the best option for the severity of Cherri's  situation. It will take time for her to feel comforatable around any dogs other than Quincy.

Both dogs just went through a major change within the past couple of  weeks and I think Quincy may be having a hard time adjusting. We moved from the West Texas to the east coast so of course the weather is different, but I have put him in sweaters before and he has had no issues. He is very active, and playful but when he wouldn’t move out of the same spot for hours with the jacket on I thought he was sick. Even after I took the jacket off it took him a while to even move. Quincy also loves his toys (balls) he wouldn’t even try to play with them. Do you think the jacket causes him anxiety?

I have attached a picture of the him in his jacke.

Answer
Hi Samantha,

First, I can't see much in the image you provided, as the photo is way too dark.

Second, I asked that you read my biography and agree to rate my response as soon as you read my bios, but you have not indicated that you've done this or agree, although I've mentioned this twice now (three times if you count the mention in my bio). I volunteer here, and all I ask is that people take the time to find out about me and rate my response fairly if I'm going to spend valuable time helping you. After hearing more about what's going on with Quincy, and not getting the assurance that you've read my bio and will rate my response, I'll have to reject your questions: but, even so, I will generously suggest, given the nature of your descriptions and the seriousness of the behaviors, that you contact and work with a professional trainer in your home, as I think doing so would be very worthwhile for you and your dogs. Best of luck! Note: I did specifically ask that you mention you read my bio and agree to rate it in the BODY of your question, not in the subject line.

Dogs

Madeline Friedman