Dogs/vestibular disorder

Hi Patti -

My 13-year-old Norwich terrier ends up with an odd head tilt and balance issues every time he shakes himself. It generally lasts for only a few seconds. Is this a common symptom of vestibular disorder? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Hi Steve,

I know (through personal experience) that when a dog develops vestibular syndrome, the symptoms usually begins to get better on their own within a few days. Though some of off balanced symptoms may persist. Only time would tell.

Rather than self-diagnosing your dog's condition, because we are talking about the possibility of a neurological condition here, it would probably be best if your veterinarian would examine your dog.

I hope I've been a help,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.