Dogs/female st bernard

I have a female st bernard about 11 months old, I had thought she already went into heat a couple months ago, due to the actions of my male st bernard who is 4 years old.  I seperated them during this time, but my female is having some discharge and her vulva is swollen.  My male is not trying to mount her but is being very protective, could you give me some ideas of why this is happening?

Sounds like she is in heat now.  The area being swollen and the discharge usually means she is in heat. Your male is probably following her around....he is waiting for the right moment :-) Of course i dont have a crystal ball but everything is pointing at her being in heat....good luck.

Any questions about caring for your puppy up to your older dogs. How to crate train your dog. the best food for your dog,Questions about the breed.If i can not answer your question i will point you in the right direction.

Over ten years in the dog business. Taking care of pups including meds and exercise

I volunteer at our local shelter

Check out Look up Skipper...There are 3. My Rhodesion Ridgeback lived to be 15 years old. He went to the rainbow bridge 4 years ago. We just got Buddy...He is a golden mix. His first parents both worked and he was alone most of the day. We drove 3 hours to get him.

Worked 3 years as a vet tech