Dogs/female st bernard

Question
I have a female st bernard about 11 months old, I had thought she already went into heat a couple months ago, due to the actions of my male st bernard who is 4 years old.  I seperated them during this time, but my female is having some discharge and her vulva is swollen.  My male is not trying to mount her but is being very protective, could you give me some ideas of why this is happening?

Answer
Sounds like she is in heat now.  The area being swollen and the discharge usually means she is in heat. Your male is probably following her around....he is waiting for the right moment :-) Of course i dont have a crystal ball but everything is pointing at her being in heat....good luck.

Gary

Dogs

Gary