Dogs/Itchy flaky skin

Good day, my Chinese crested ( hairless ) 6 years old she never stop licking and scratching, I have changed her shampoo and creams and her food but nothing helps, she lick herself raw !!! do not know what to do anymore !!!!!

Hi Leonie,

There are LOTS of things besides shampoos, creams and food that a dog can develop an allergy to. It could be your laundry detergent, dust, or a certain kind of fabric. The itching could also be due to a hormonal imbalance.

If you've tried a couple of things to help your dog's itching, but nothing seems to be working, then it's time to have your veterinarian examine your dog. You might want to skip your regular vet, and go directly to a specialist. You may be able to locate a veterinary dermatologist in your area with the link below, or you could ask your regular vet for a referral.

The shampoo you use on your dog should be a hypoallergenic one. Brands to look for include: Burt's Bees for Dogs Hypoallergenic Shampoo, DermCare Hypoallergenic Shampoo, and Vet'S Best Hypoallergenic Shampoo.

You said you've tried changing your dog's food, but simply changing a dog's diet isn't how one tests for a food allergy. You need to change your dog's food to a a hypoallergenic diet, made from ingredients your dog hasn't ever had before. A hypoallergenic diet dog food should contain a single protein source and a single carbohydrate source. The novel-protein diets are called such because the protein source is something unlikely to be in any other commercial diet: Examples are duck, venison, and even kangaroo. The carbohydrate is also something unusual: often potatoes or peas. It takes 8 to 12 weeks to see if the diet change is working. Eight to 12 weeks of a very restricted diet: no scraps, no unapproved treats, no nibbles of the other petís kibble. You can read more about hypoallergenic diets here:

You can get a at your vet's office, or you can look for these "over-the-counter" hypoallergenic dog foods:

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.