Hello again Patty,

I've often scene white mollosoids such as Pitbull, White Boxer and others being deaf. I've even heard that in the Bull Terrier, some Staffordshire Terrier blood was introduced so that colors other then white can be available. But why does white colour cause so many problems? I heard that deafness and mange haunt white dogs.

1. Is it the problem with white mollosoids only or other dogs too?

2. I've also heard that a white dog, say Bull terrier may get deaf. But in deafness, their other senses become more developed. A deaf white dog can see, hear or perhaps, smell better than a normal dog. Is it true?

3. A friend of mine said that for dogs, there is a diet available that fastens growth and is better than natural foods. Though I urged that a food which fastens the growth of a dog in an unnatural, catalytic way may have some side effects too. But he even said that doctors and vets recommend it. So what do you think of that?

4. I know dogs are omnivores but at least to some extent, meat should be a part of their diet. So is cooked vegetables better for dogs or raw ones? Which meat is most suitable for a dog from chicken, mutton, beef or fish? Do certain breeds need meat more than others or there's a hard and fast rule?

Thanks you :)

Hi Raiden,

Mange is an inflammatory disease in dogs caused by various types of skin mites, it's not linked to the dog's coat color.

Congenital deafness in dogs is usually linked to a defective gene and is inherited. Often the defective gene is for coat color. Dogs with white and sometimes a merle or piebald colored coat are predisposed to congenital deafness. Most of the dog breeds who suffer from congenital deafness have some white pigmentation in their coats. It is also possible that there is a multi-gene cause for deafness in dogs. In dog breeds that don't usually have blue eyes, having blue eyes can also be a marker for deafness.

Just as with people, dogs do best on a natural diet that's free of artificial preservatives and artificial colors. It's best for large breed puppies not to grow too quickly, as that can lead to joint problems such as dysplasia, osteoarthritis later in life. Large breed puppies do best with a diet that provides the recommended levels of calcium, fat and protein levels. It is equally important to control the amount of this diet the puppy eats, otherwise, the puppy may overeat, and still get the nutritional excesses you wish to avoid.  Read more about the correct diet for large breed puppies here:

Vegetables are a great addition to your dog's meat based diet, that said some veggies shouldn't be given to dogs. Most dogs can eat squash, pumpkin, zucchini, carrots, peas, beets, yams, green beans and potatoes (both white and sweet) when boiled or steamed and chopped or pureed. Be careful with "cruciferous vegetables", such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and bell peppers, as they may cause your dog to have gas  Leafy greens, such as spinach, really need to be pureed for dogs. Dogs can eat cooked or raw ripe tomatoes, but never green ones, and should be kept away from tomato plants, as the leaves, stems and unripe fruit can poison their nervous systems. All members of the onion family (leeks, shallots, chives and garlic) in any form (boiled, steamed, fried or powdered) can be toxic to dogs, so don't give your dog anything that contains them.

If your dog isn't used to eating vegetables, you should introduce them in small quantities over a period of several days, as the extra roughage can cause lose stools. Some raw vegetables can cause gas, so it may pay to be cautious when introducing new vegetables to your dogs diet. Cooking (steaming is better than boiling)  and finely chopping the veggies will reduce the risk of gas. Read more about which vegetables are safe for dogs, here:

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.