Dogs/Zignature Dry Grain Free Dog Food

Hi, Roger -

I have asked you questions in the past and you have been so helpful.

I was wondering what you thought of the Zignature line of dry dog food.  I do incorporate wet canned food to my boxer's diet as well because you had made mention of dehydration and how a strict dry diet is not recommended.
Also, I only use Grain free.  I am using Fromm dry and Evangers or whatever grain free canned that I can get at a reasonable price.

Hi Lisa,

Not familiar with the Zignature line but I looked it up and it does sound like a good food. But as we say, the best dry food is still the worst diet for any dog.

But it can certainly make up part of the diet and I'm glad to hear you are feeding some wet foods. Try and get it to at least 50/50 with wet and dry.

Then, always add enzymes and probiotics to each meal. This is very important. The best canned and bagged foods are still void of these vital nutrients.

I'm sure I mentioned it before but in case not, get yourself a good enzyme and probiotic formula. One we like,use and sell in our store is from Animal Essentials. There's contain both in one powder.

Without getting this in their food, they will not break down the food stuffs far enough to get all the nutrients from it.

The enzymes insure that the foods get broken down. A dog can eat a really good food but if they are not breaking it down far enough, most of the nutrients are going right through them.

There are many good formulas out there that supply enzymes and probiotics. Get some and add it in, it's very important.

To help cost on your foods, go to the manufacturers websites. Many will have coupons or rebates or frequent buyer programs.

Same with both wet and dry. We give a discount when you buy a case at a time. We even allow mixing. Ask wherever you buy your foods if they offer discounts or frequent buyer programs. Hopefully they will have one that allows you to get different foods on one program. This helps to rotate the diet and not have to leave them on one thing a long time.

Another really good food to check out and see if it's in your area is from My Perfect Pet. There foods are "lightly cooked" meaning they only cook to around 170 degrees.

Remember, the more you cook or process any foods, the worst it is for your dog and even yourself.

It's processed right in between raw foods and canned foods. They use very good ingredients. If you can get a little of this in your boxer's diet, the better. Variety is always good.

We feed raw exclusively to our dogs but it's just not for everyone. We still believe this to be the ultimate diet as that is what nature intended them to eat and thrive on.

Make sure to add some omega's to your boxer's diet as well. This helps the eyes, brain, and joints. As well as a good antioxidant.

You can use a little salmon or other fish oil, a little canned tuna or salmon once in a while or some of the best is canned sardines. Get the ones in water and spit a can a couple times a week. Very good stuff.

The Zignature looks good, just look into any company that you are thinking about going with. Look at their practices and sources.

I hope this helps, good to hear from you again. Let me know if you have anything else.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.