Dogs/5 year old mini dashound

my dog rectal area is swollen and bowel is solid and green

Hi Debbie,

Swelling is never a good sign, it might be due to an anal sac infection or an abscess, a rectal prolapse, an allergy condition, or something else. I can't see your dog, and I'm not a vet, so I can only offer you guesswork.  Sometimes green stools are caused by something the dog ate, but it can also be due to or allergies caused by certain ingredients in food, it can also be a sign of a parasitic infection or intestinal problems.

Your dog needs to be examined by a veterinarian, and he/she may require an antibiotic or other medication. Even if your dog isn't showing it, he or she might be in pain. You should not put off getting your dog examined by a veterinarian.

If you are having trouble affording veterinary care, first talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

If you have limited financial resources, you may want to call veterinarians in your community to see if they offer discounts or reduced-fee specials. Some vets offer a sliding fee scale for clients with limited means.

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.