Dogs/Dog Cough

My 10 year old dog, Buddy, suddenly (last night) developed a cough that is triggered by activity. As soon as he settles down, the coughing stops. He does not appear to be in any distress. He just had a normal bowel movement. When I adopted him from a shelter 8 years ago, he had kennel cough, and this appears to be very different from what I recall. It reminds me a bit of when my children had asthma attacks. A couple times it led to an appearance of vomiting but nothing came up. Feeding routine: I moisten Buddy's dry food with hot water, let it sit to absorb the liquid and cool, and then stir in a heaping spoonful of low-fat yogurt. However, I was out most of yesterday, and my daughter fed him his evening meal. She did not moisten the food. Buddy is up to date on his vaccinations. Also, my daughter recently adopted a dog from a shelter, and Buddy was in contact with him a week ago. The other dog has no symptoms of kennel cough.

This could very well be kennel cough, but there are several other things that can cause coughing, particularly in an older dog. You need to talk to your veterinarian about this and probably have your dog examined for a correct diagnosis.

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.