Dogs/Can dogs talk

Can dogs communicate with us?

ABSOLUTELY!!!! The problem is that we often are not as smart as our dogs so it may take us some time to understand what they are saying to us<G>

Our oldest girl is now retired from agility, and my daughter wants her fed twice a day so that she can get her glucosamine/chondroitin meds in a divided dose. (The other dogs are all fed once a day in the morning.) I don't always remember to feed her after the dogs go outside at dinnertime, and she will come to me and give me "the look"<G> That look of hers speaks volumes<G>

There is a new dog sport starting up now that is called "Barn Hunt", and basically it involves the dog finding a rat in a plastic tube that has been hidden among some randomly placed/piled hay bales. There will also be some other tubes that are totally empty or contain used rat bedding. The handler must be able to determine which tube contains the rat by "reading" his dog... interpreting what the dog is telling him though its body language, and sometimes vocalization. This is a fun sport, and not as easy as it sounds. So much of it involves us understanding what our dogs are saying to us. Sometimes they have to "shout" at us before we understand them<G>

Think of it this way... our dogs not only speak "dog language", but they also can understand OUR language... "sit, down, come, etc." Yep, very smart critters<G>

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.