Dogs/breeding

Question
During my beagles first heat my male got to her. Question is if she gets pregnant during her first cycle Will that effect he and/or the pups if we try breeding second or third cycle?

Answer
Cory,

It probably won't affect the puppies, but in the long term and sometimes the short term it could affect the mother with a calcium deficiency which causes eclampsia, a condition which cause seizures and death. Of course, if she dies that will affect the puppies as you will have to feed them every two hours. Make sure she has plenty of forms of calcium while she is carrying and nursing.  Put her on a good puppy food like Eukanuba and cottage cheese (some milk when she is nursing, start with just a little).  Always skip a season otherwise it will shorten the dogs life span or at the least her quality of life as she gets older.
nancy

Dogs

Nancy Perry