Dogs/dog cough

I have a small dog that is 13 years old in the last year he has developed a cough.  I took him to the vet and she told me his heart sounded fine.  I have a lot of cats and I was wondering if it may be cat hair he is swallowing.

Hello Alma
What breed of little dog is your boy? Little breeds nearer to the ground are more prone to breathing in allergens, dust and dander and yes cat fur and the saliva on the fur which is the main cause of asthma from cat allergies in humans and can affect dogs.
With the cough, is it constant? Does he snuffle or labour when breathing and its quick like he cant quite get enough air?
You were right to take him to the vet as coughing can be associated with heart problems. Did your vet do any blood work to check all his levels, ensure all his vital organs are functioning well, lungs clear, thyroid etc etc? Being a grand old senior, bodies do start to strain, get tired, and they cant fight off things as quickly etc. Is he up to date with vaccinations, heartworm preventative? Did your vet check for Heartworm while there?  Are all your cats Vaccinated, wormed, no cat flu or viruses, sneezing?
Theres a couple of things that could be causing this cough as Ive mentioned already or it could be allergies, cat fur or dare I say it, something more sinister.
An ongoing cough of over a year in a senior dog should be investigated further. A healthy dog doesnt cough so something is not right. Perhaps seek a second opinion of a different vet and ask for blood screen and a quick heartworm test. Once you have an outcome it can be treated and your little fellow will be able to enjoy his Golden years comfortably.
all the best Alma and I do hope it turns out to be something minor and easily treatable.
kind regards Leigh-Anne

I am not a veterinarian but I do have some medical understanding and knowledge through years of experience and shelter work, but I am not prepared to give life or death medical advice and suggest if you have medical concerns you seek the advice of a QUALIFIED VET immediately for your family members' safety, health and well being. Agreed? Great! I have worked in an animal shelter,also owned dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, birds, fish, ferret, mice, oh and green tree frogs! They have all been spoiled rotten and lived to long, long old ages in pure contentment. During their lifespans I've had to manage the puppy stage of nappies and broken sleep, toddler stages, teens, maturity & elderly citizens....they are all very different with very different needs. I've dealt with various health concerns, behavioral issues, training & obedience, safe housing & lifestyle issues, exercise, toys & enrichment, safety, grooming, diet, euthanasia and so forth. I am experienced in the above and more, so would be happy to pass on my knowledge and experience if you have concerns with your "4 legged family member" I will answer your questions as quickly as possible and provide you with the best answer from my knowledge & ability. If its beyond me, I will be honest and not lead you astray, but instead direct you to someone/somewhere that can assist you further. I'm in South Australia and have good Intel on what is available and where! I appreciate that your 'baby' means the world to you,so please........ don't waste precious time online if its a medical issue or emergency of any proportion-contact your NEAREST VET STAT! I look forward to hearing from you & thanks for considering my assistance!

Young Animal Protection Society (YAPS) North Queensland (volunteer employment for 9 years) - rehab of cats and dogs all breeds, ages and backgrounds - Exercise dogs - Wash and clean kennels, cages and bedding - Prepare feed and special diets, feed all animals - train and work on behavioral issues - Monitor animals and vet needs- take when required - collect strays and follow council procedures and by laws - groom, bathe and provide allergy treatment - administer heartworm, flea, tick and worm preventatives - play and provide enrichment activities - special work with dogs with mild food/toy/dog aggression, fear, anxiety and/or mistreatment to re-establish trust and faith - Assistant Vet Nurse at Beach Road Veterinary Clinic Nth Qld Pet owner of: Pure bred German Shepherds x 2 (both males)fully obedience trained to hand signals Pure bred Australian Silky Terriers x 3 (males) Pure bred Chihuahua (male) White male ferret various goldfish, tropical and Beta's(bred Beta's) Two mice and couple of green tree frogs when younger 4 cats male - 2 male moggies, and CURRENT- 2 females ages 12 & 13, mum & daughter(PART PERSIAN Torty -assisted at birth of 4 babies, broke sacs, got breathing etc.... CURRENT: Pure bred male blue English Staffy at 5 mths Various Strays and "foster" kids over the years

Animal Welfare League WSPA Port Adelaide Dog Obedience Club

non medical Cert III & IV in animal care