Dogs/What to give my dog to produce more milk?

Hello, I was wondering what to give my mini dachshund to help her produce more milk. She had 3 puppies on June 11th and does not seem to have much milk for them. Any suggestions will help.... Thank You...

Hey Mark,

This is not my specialty with mothers milk, but I'll try to give a couple of pointers.

Any dogs having puppies should be fed all the food they want to eat. They should be given wet food and not dry. Dry food takes way too long to digest and thus, produce milk.

No dry food is good for any dog really. Their natural diet is high moisture, i.e. wet foods.

Some moms for generic reasons or another just can't produce enough milk. That's when you have to step up and give the pups some formula. If they don't get enough, they will develop a lot of problems growing up.

Try giving the mom formula, baby food or any other good quality wet or canned foods.

Make sure it has good calcium and other vitamins.

Time is of the essence. If she is not producing enough milk then seek the help of your vet. These pups need enough food multiple times a day or they will have problems.

It's hard to say what problems she may be having, it may need to be diagnosed through a vet.

So many things can come into play as to why she is not producing enough milk. You need to look at what her current diet is, that is KEY.

My specialty is dog nutrition and what they should be eating. I don't know what she is currently being fed as that will make a lot of difference.

If you want to get back to me and let me know everything she is eating, including brand names, I can better suggest what might help as this make all the difference.

Dogs need to be on their natural diet to thrive and reproduce and rear their young. I can help along those lines.

Let me know if you would like more information.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.