Dogs/itching dog

Question
I have a mixed breed long hair dog, she does not have fleas but she is constantly itching, she has some small white patches.  She has this smell also.    Also she licks her feet and belly alot.

Is this a yeast infection?  If so what can I do for it.  I read where some dogs respond to probotic.  If so what type and how much should I give her.

Thank You.

Answer
Hi Verna....
Im wondering how long your dog has been like this? White patches could be as you say a yeast infection,  or dried skin, or just plain infection. It sounds like  she is having an allergic reaction to something whether its environmental (are you in spring or summer over yr way?) such as grasses, pollens or she's breathing in the allergen. Have you changed her diet, shampoo, has she come in contact with a floor cleaner, carpet powder, grasses etc?
My first suggestion is to take her to the vet as the smell generally comes from skin infection which is a secondary infection caused by licking,  scratching etc as it drives them mad making them miserable.  With allergy reactions they often get ear, eye and like mentioned skin infections which require antibiotics and or ear and eye drops to clear up. She'll also need some short term, & I stress short term due to internal damage that can happen long term, of cortisone tabs to get it under control then vet can recommend ongoing meds to keep her comfy and manage the itch. Medicated shampoo can help topically to soothe the itch but I have to say treating allergies when unknown whats causing it can be trial & error. U can have allergy testing done but its expensive and may not pin point the culprit. U may need to change her diet to low allergen dry such as salmon and potato made for such issues and a wet alternative of rice and boiled chicken. Food with least amt of additives is important.
Once the vet has itching controlled you can introduce some omega 3 oil to her diet whuch is great for skin and itching. For now I'd not do anything with probiotics but instead seek a vet to fight the infections she has, take the inflammation down and make her feel much better. Long hair does well if kept short during treatment then u can grow it out again.
Good luck....get onto it asap as it can blow out of control quickly.
kind regards Leigh-Anne

Dogs

Leigh-Anne