Dogs/pain in neck

Question
So my 7 year old Brittany spaniel was attacked on Sunday by another dog. The dog was grabbing onto her neck but we stopped the dog before it got worse. There was no blood or teeth marks or anything. We took her home and noticed that when we pressed this one area on her neck/shoulder she squealed and snapped at us. Other then that she was acting normal and eating and drinking and pooping/peeing. I took her to the vet on Tuesday but she absolutely HATES going there, I have to carry her in there and freaks out and shakes and so when the vet was examining her, she never squealed or let her know if it hurt. I'm assuming because she was so tense and scared because right when I took her out to the car and touched the area it bothered her and she squealed and snapped at me. The vet gave me some pain meds for her and I've been giving them to her every 12 hours. So it's Thursday now and she still squeals when I touch that spot. I might be overreacting but I just want to be safe! Is the area just sore because the dog was biting her? I just think since it's been so many days that it's weird that she's still squealing when we touch it, I feel like it should be getting better and it shouldn't bother her as much, especially because she's on meds. Could something of happened to her? I'm not sure of the injuries they can get in that area or what I should do in this situation so any advice would be great!

Answer
Hi Kylie....firstly....you did the right thing getting her to the vet, and secondly no youre not over reacting....noone knows their dogs better than the Guardian.  What type of dog did the attacking?  Large  strong dog?  In the commotion did you notice if any 'shaking' of the attackers head took place? Even if no topical injury ie broken skin blood or tears are noticeable,  doesnt mean there wasn't significant deep tissue/muscle damage done.
For any loved and loving dog to snap at its caregiver it means theyre really sore, quite fearful or anxious of the area being touched.  Dogs hide pain very well too.
Im assuming the vet gave an anti inflammatory pain reliever for prob 7-10 days? My suggestion would be to continue with pain meds til finished, avoid touching the area or allowing her lead to pull on that side of her neck when walking. If theres somewhere u can let her safely run off lead for a few days that will help. If your able try putting a warm pack under her neck/shoulder area when she's resting. Should she still be that sore and is still snapping by this weekend which by days youve provided, should be about 14 days post,  then Id get her back to the vet for review.
Also, if you can gently run your finger tips or flat of your hand over the area, can you feel any lumps or bumps and would you say its quite swollen?  Its possible that a tooth or teeth have punctured muscle or soft tissue which has caused a bleed in the muscle which is a intramuscular bruise and they're very painful and it will spasm. This will heal in time but keep an eye on it. The neck area is always the grab zone for all animsls and while its tough and covered by extra fur for protection, its easy enough to bruise. If you notice she starts getting stiff in the neck or cries out without being touched or her behaviour changes and or stops eating.....dont wait but take her straight back to vet. If vet is confidant its soft tissue that will heal in time and you trust your vet fully then give it the 14 days to see if it settles. And yes your on the money with her vet visit! With a severe anxiety like that her adrenaline of flight or fight would have been in overdrive,  the endorphins kicked in snd suddenly she's a wonder dog and feels no pain. Just as she would've felt at time of attack.
I feel youre on the right track, you're observant and obviously a good loving Guardian so give her a few more days finish meds try warm packs no pulling on leash and try not to touch the area for the time being.  Come Sunday itll be 2 weeks so gently check her sore area whilst including the same area on the other side so she feels less threatened, kind of stroke both sides gently at once see how she responds.  I think you'll find in next week or two it will be like nothing happened and the swelling has gone down, bleed stopped so bruising healing and tenderness subsides.
Good luck and Im very sad for you both that the other dog behaved in such a horrid manner to your girl and I do hope its guardian is paying your vet bills!?
All the best to you both. Leigh-Anne

Dogs

Leigh-Anne