Dogs/hard lump on dog

I have a 10 year old mixed dog who is diabetic. He had a very hard lump on his left hip\butt area for a while now.. Last night we noticed it has about tripled in size. Its very hard. It does not move around. It is not warm and don't seem to cause pain when touched. Hoping to get him in this evening to have it checked. I'm very worried. I was wondering if the signs are pointing to cancer?

Hi Melissa,

Few things are as scary as finding a lump on your beloved dog!

By having your vet examine him promptly, you're doing all that you can do, because it's impossible to diagnose a lump just by description or by seeing it. Your vet will probably do a fine needle aspirate, or biopsy to see exactly what kind of a mass you're dealing with.

I'm like you, I tend to let my mind run off and think the worst. Though it's possible it is an malignant growth, it's also possible that it isn't. Try to keep positive. But since you asked, the warning signs of cancer in dogs are very similar to that in people. A lump or a bump, a wound that doesn’t heal, any kind of swelling, enlarged lymph nodes, a lameness or swelling in the bone, abnormal bleeding. Those are all classic signs. though sometimes there are little or no signs, at least early on.

Best of luck to you and your dog!

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.