Dogs/Feeding

Question
Hi, I currently feed my dogs three times a day because I was told that it is better for their digestive system by spreading out their food. However, I cannot find anything about it. Can you confirm that? Thanks

Answer
Hi Jackie,

We feed our dogs twice a day, at breakfast and dinner time. Some people feed only once a day.

But we find that a dogs metabolism and if you are supplementing/medicating are better served using the twice a day plan.

If your dog is suffering from something like pancreatitis or has a failing kidney, then feeding smaller meals more often is appropriate.

But if your dog is healthy, there's really no reason to feed more than twice.

Dogs instinctive nature is like the wolf and other predator animals. They are used to feasting on prey and then not eating for several days. But we don't like to see them go hungry so we feed daily.

A dog's digestive system takes a lot of energy to process meals. If a dog is hurting or sick, they may not eat instinctively for period of time so that their healing process can utilize the energy.

So ideally, you really don't want your dogs digestive system working all the time as that takes away energy from other needs. That is why we don't recommend free feeding where you leave food out all day for a dog. And the same really goes for three times a day.

As I mentioned above, if a dog has some type of disease, the need to feed smaller, more often meals is necessary to help preserve the failing organ. This out-ways the need to rest the digestive system for healing.

My specialty on this forum is in nutrition. If you would like me to evaluate your dogs diet, I would be happy to do so.

If so, respond back to this same question and let me know exactly what you are feeding and include brand names. Also include their breed, age and any health conditions.

What you feed and supplement with are very criticle in keeping your pet healthy. It's much more important than most people think.

We've helped hundreds of people regain or maintain vital health in their pets with what we have learned.

I hope the above helps, let me know if I can do anything else.

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey