Dogs/feeding raw eggs to my dog

hello. can i feed my 14 year old dog with raw eggs excluding the shells? if yes, may i know how many eggs to add in his meal?

Hi Rohit,

When it comes to feeding your dog raw eggs, if you ask ten people this question half will tell you "yes", and half will tell you "no". Raw eggs do not impart any significant health benefits over cooked eggs.

There is a chance of salmonella poisoning from eating raw eggs, though it's rare in dogs.  There is also a chance of developing a biotin (Vitamin B7) deficiency caused by a substance in whites, while some say the yolks contain enough biotin to overcome any deficiency.
So the choice is yours. If you’re worried, cook the eggs. Personally, I'd cook the eggs first.

It's safe to feed a dog crushed egg shell, they are an excellent source of calcium, protein, strontium, and magnesium.  Cook the whole raw eggs in boiling water for 10 minutes (hardboiled eggs). When the eggs have cooled and are dry, chop up the entire egg or use a food processor, shell and all.  Alternatively,  you can keep the whole hardboiled egg until you'd like to feed them to your dog, tap the egg against something hard to crack the shells on all sides until the shell is cracked all over. Your dog will be able to bite right into the egg, shell and all.
Store the cooked chopped eggs or whole cooked eggs in a plastic bag or bowl in your refrigerator until you are ready to to use them.

Eggs are healthy, but they shouldn't be your dog's only food. They're great to mix in with your dog's regular commercially made diet, or a part of a homemade dog food. Feed your dog an egg a day.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.