Dogs/large breed dogs

I saw a large dog that at first I thought was a pony. when I got closer, I could tell it was a dog, even if huge. I asked the owner what type of dog was it and he said it was a Russian bear hunting dog. Do you have any info on this type of dog?

Hi Dale,

The breed of dog that's often called a Russian Bear dog is also called the Caucasian Shepherd Dog or the Caucasian Ovcharka.
It was bred originally bred for bear hunting, as the name implies, but it's also used as a guard dog in Russian prisons. You can read more about this breed here:

In the USA, these would still be considered a rare breed, so you're lucky to have seen one!

I hope I've been a help,
Best of luck

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.