Dogs/female in heat

my older female came into heat and I'd like to know can her being in heat bring my younger dog in heat. they are mother and daughter. they are 4 1/2 and 2 yrs old. there was no sign of younger one in heat, she was getting fixed in a week.

Hi Laurie,

Thank you for writing to me.  Females dogs can absolutely get into sync as they come into season, the same way that humans typically do.  I hope that your younger one can be spayed before that happens.  Why not have both of them spayed?  The more heats that a female goes through the higher the chances for developing mammary cancer.  Best to prevent.

Best regards
Shelley Davis  

Shelley Davis

Cageless Country Boarding, Holistic Health Concerns, Behavorial Concerns.

Crusader in the founding of Dog Runs in NYC Parks, instrumental in changing the law in NY State which allows Pet Facilitate Therapy into Acute Care Hospitals, accomplished artist and craftsperson, certified by Red Cross in pet first aid, pioneer in Children Reading To Dogs program in Ulster Co. NY, founder of Bed & Biscuit:Where Dogs Run Free,