My dog (Abby) regurgitates a lot and I was wondering if that is bad for her, because I herd it was bad for humans

Hey Gabe,

Some regurgitation is normal every once in a while. But if she is doing this often, then something she is eating or something in her digestive track is not quite right.

Make sure to feel around her abdomen, throat and chest areas for any signs of tenderness. If you find a spot where it appears to be overly sensitive to her, get her to your vet for a check up right away. We need to make sure there is no obstruction anywhere in her system.

Not sure if you can see what she is regurgitating up. If you can, is it the same thing each time? If so, she could be having a problems excepting that to eat.

Make sure her diet is mostly wet type foods. No dog should be on any kind of dry food only diet as this is the hardest on their digestive system. It also has no moisture in it. A dog on a dry or mostly dry diet will live in a mild state of dehydration. This is hard on all their internal organs.

Also, what's missing out of most dogs diets are the "live" nutrients. These are the digestive enzymes and probiotics. These are crucial to a dogs diet and health. Especially in the digestive system.

So you can see there are multiple components that could be causing her excessive regurgitating.

If you can rule out any internal obstruction or afflictions, then we need to look at her diet.

For the first part, if she does show any tenderness or you even suspect any obstruction, you will need to get her to the vet immediately.

For the diet part, if you want to write back to me and let me know everything that is in her diet including brand names, I will be happy to give you an evaluation and make any recommendations.

If it's diet related, a few simple things can help her out. Just let me know if you want my help with that.

Whatever you decide, the best thing in the world for any dog or cat is to supplement them with enzymes and probiotics, they are that important. They get them naturally in their species appropriate diet but these vital nutrients are destroyed when you cook foods.

You can get these in a powder form and just sprinkle on her food with each meal. It may be all that she needs.

Best wishes,

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.