Dogs/vomiting-upset stomach

Question
my dog has an upset stomach threw up I think she has an upset stomach. is it ok to give her maximum strength antacid?

Answer
Hi Carol,

We use a product made for dogs from Apawthercary from Animal Essentials that is a ginger mint combo. Their products work very well. We sell and use them ourselves.

If you are at home and need some human stuff to treat, we've used Pepto Bismol in the past when we had to. Not sure what "maximum strength antacid" you are talking about but that is usually for something different like heart burn.

For the Pepto, you can give a dosage of 0.5-1ml per pound of weight. It should be administered every 6-8 hours. If you're using the tablets, that is equal to ¼ tablet per 20 pounds of weight every 6-8 hours.

If you know what caused the vomiting, then keep her hydrated and if no further vomiting, then she should be able to continue eating soon. If you don't know, keep a close eye on her for 24 hours.

If she continues to vomit, I would get her to your vet. No food, only water for 24 hours while she is vomiting.

Any concerns or if other things are not right, don't hesitate to get her to the vet for a checkup.

Dogs tend to vomit occasionally, if just happens. Get and keep a bottle of the Apawthacary ginger and their phytomucial products for diarrhea. We keep them in our fridge all the time.

Her diet is very important for keeping up her immune and digestive system. If you would like me to evaluate her diet and make recommendations, just respond back to this same question and let me know everything you are feeding her including brand names.

Hope this all helps,

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey