Dogs/9 yr old female Rottiweiler

I have a 9 yr old female rottiweiller. She has recently began to lose weight. She is drinking water quite a bit and isn't eating her dry dog food like normal but she will eat it if I moisten it and mix canned food with it. The last coupe of days I have noticed a pinkish discharge coming from her vaginal area.

Hi Cathy,

I'm sorry to hear of your dog's condition, she needs to be examined by your vet so whatever is going on can be properly diagnosed. I know how easy it is to fear the worst, but try not to get ahead of things. Whatever is going on may be something that's easily treated with antibiotics or medications.

You should not put off having your dog examined by a veterinarian.

If you are having trouble afford veterinary care, first talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

I hope I've been a help. Best of luck!

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.