Dogs/Does breeding make Dogs aggressive after their first time?

Hi, I have a labrador? He's 4 years old and very active. I haven't taken him for mating even once.I've seen blood coming out of his private part. I want to know if I should take him to the vet so that he can mate with a bitch. Is it really necessary? I've heard that dogs become really aggressive after their first time. I dont want that to happen. And I've not seen him hump anything or anyone in a very long time now. Should I consider castration?

There should NEVER be blood coming from your dog's penis! Something is very wrong and he needs to be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible!

As to breeding him, that is not necessary. Go ahead and have him neutered. Breeding him would (should) not make him more aggressive with people, but it could with other males.... particularly if there are bitches in the area that are not spayed and are in season.

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.