Dogs/name of sedative for shih tus

Question
I have a 3 year old shih tuz, and she have been going to the same groomer since 8 months. Now I took her the groomer in Sept. 2015 and everything was good. Now in Nov. 2015 I take her to the groomer and she do not want the groomer to touch her. So I am thinking that my pup is not having a good day. So I make another appointment which was the Wednesday before thanksgiving and she got to shaking and hiding behind me and the groomer can not touch her. So I called another groomer and she said my pup will need a mild sedative, that I can buy over the counter or from the vet. So now I do not know what to do at this point.

Answer
Hi Sheila,

Thank you for writing to me about your Shih Tzu.  Something happened at the groomers...something terribly traumatic.  Please do not ever bring your dog back to that person again.  If the groomer is an employee, be sure to contact the owner and let them know that something traumatized your dog and to keep an eye on that particular groomer.

The other groomer that you contacted...did she actually see your puppy or just suggest a calmative over the phone?  Is there a groomer in your area that works from home where you can sit and be with your dog while she's being groomed?  A quiet calm place?

You can try giving your dog Rescue Remedy and the pet stores sell various potions that have calming herbs in them like Valerian, Passion Flower, etc.  You can also try Melatonin but be sure to research the correct dosage because you have a very tiny dog.

I would suggest that you bring your dog to meet the groomer first, not to be groomed but to have the groomer pet her and feed her some treats.  Then the second time see how it goes.  If your dog starts shaking, immediately stop.  It's not going to help to put your dog through a fearful experience.  She will have to be desensitized.

Also try to find a groomer that comes to your home.  They do have them in various areas of the country.  If your dog is in her own home she may not be so fearful.

Wishing you the very best.

Shelley Davis

Please remember to rate your volunteer expert.

Dogs

Shelley Davis