I would like to know how I would go about looking for a Pekinese that is not show quality. What I mean by that is a dog that does not conform to what most would consider a Pekinese. We had one for 15 blissful years. We miss him terribly.

He had the behavior traits, but did not look like the type of Pekinese that most would guess as a Pekinese. His shout was longer, etc. I have no idea how to go about looking for this type of dog. Would I go to a breeder and ask if they have a Pekinese that does not look like a Pekinese? I hope you can help.

Hi Tim,

I can certainly understand your desire to get another Pekingese.

You could contact breeders and ask if they have any non-show quality puppies or young adult dogs available. If you're looking to get a puppy, it would be difficult to say how much off the breed standard it would be when it's fully grown.  Some breeders have both parents of the litter on premises. You could get an idea of what a litter might look like when grown, if you can meet the parents. As far as duplicating the specific features that your last Peke possessed, that would be a real challenge.

Your last dog, like all dogs (and people) are pretty much the genetic luck of the draw, there's no way to predict with any certainty exactly what the litter will look like. Chances are, your dog was the offspring of dogs who weren't the breed standard themselves. Many of the puppies sold in pet stores might fall into this category, since they are often bred in puppy mills.

More likely than not, if you were to get another Pekinese, it wouldn't have the exact features of your last dog. More important than how your next dog looks, is that it's healthy, which is why I wouldn't suggest buying from a pet store. Reputable breeders breed healthy stock for healthy puppies and also for good temperaments. Considering the number of health conditions that are common the the Pekingese breed, this is important.
Here is some info on buying a healthy puppy:

We all know that looks are only skin deep! What matters is, your next dog will give you all the love and devotion, that you're missing.
I hope I've been a help, and sincerely hope you find a dog or puppy who will be the next sunshine of your life!

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.