Dogs/tumors

Question
Hi, my dog has huge swollen teets I know she has tumors. However more recently the tumor has grown bigger, has become more swollen and has turned a deep purple. She's a 14 year old shih tzu and otherwise eats, drinks, and has the energy. My concern is the tumor has become cancerous. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answer
Hi Shannon,

Thank you for writing to me about your dog. Your dog could have mastitis which is life threatening and needs immediate antibiotics and care from a vet.  You absolutely MUST rush her to a vet for emergency treatment.  It's unlikely that all her teets have cancer but it sounds more like the infection has spread.  She can develop septis which is excruiating and deadly.  Please seek emergency medical care for your dog.

"Mastitis is a bacterial infection of one or more lactating (milk producing) glands in the breasts. It is often the result of an ascending infection, trauma to the lactating gland, or an infection that has been spread through the blood stream.

Escherichia coli (E. coli), Staphylococci, and β-hemolytic Streptococci are some of the main bacteria that are found to be most commonly involved. It is a potentially life-threatening infection, in some cases leading to septic shock, the direct effect of the mammary glands with systemic involvement."

Wishing you and your dog the very best.

Shelley Davis

Dogs

Shelley Davis