Dogs/Miniature Schnauzer Puppy

Question
I am thinking seriously of getting a Miniature Schnauzer puppy.  We have the opportunity to purchase one at 10 weeks old which is ideal.  However we are not in a position to have the dog until it is 12 to 14 weeks old and I am wondering whether this could be a problem regarding bonding and training with us.  Is it too late do you think?  We have two cats and will have to introduce them correctly over time. One of them is very very affectionate and quite jealous.  We certainly couldn't have another cat! Your advice would be appreciated.

Answer
No, this shouldn't be a problem at all as long as the breeder is socializing the puppy as he/she should doing at this age. I myself rarely place a puppy before four months of age as I want to put my "thumbprint" on all of them... housebreaking, coming when called, manners... before they go to their new homes. I have found that too many new owners only see that cute little puppy, letting it run amok doing what it wants rather than working with it and teaching it the manners that they will later wish it had.

Just be sure you talk with the breeder so that he/she understands your needs, and I am sure that there shouldn't be a problem holding the puppy a bit longer as long as you give the breeder a deposit to hold the puppy for you.

Dogs

Karen Brittan