Dogs/pit bull litter

My pit Leena recently had her first litter, 5 healthy males. My question is at what point are the puppies ready to be weaned on to solid food, and what brand(s) do you suggest?

Hello Elias,

Typically puppies are weaned anywhere from 4 to 9 weeks. If it were me, I would leave them on mothers milk as long as possible. This gives them better immune systems. Sometimes though before 9 weeks, the mom says enough.

The mom should be fed a lot more during this time as well so she can keep producing enough milk. Try to get her good lean and fresh protein foods.

When you start getting them on solid food, I would use canned puppy food that is a little watered down. This would be the easiest on their digestive systems.

I would not do any dry food if possible. If you have to, water it down until it is a paste. Dry foods are very hard to digest and for puppies, that can be harmful.

Use a good quality puppy food. Ones like from Merrick or Wellness or other premium ones. Stay away from commercial based ones like from Purina, Science Diet, Iamms or any of those.

They contain many of the bad ingredients that cause allergies, diseases and many other health issues. This is bad for puppies as you want to start them out with a solid foundation.

Some ingredients you should stay away from for puppies or any dog for that matter is wheat, corn, soy, by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial colorings, etc.

Look at your ingredients in everything you buy for you dogs. This is important and most people don't realize the harm they are causing by feeding these ingredients. But this is why the vets offices are filled up with so many patients.

The big grain companies use too many allergy causing fillers in their foods and that weakens the dogs immune system. Then disease or cancers can take over.

Their are several key things to make sure is in your dogs foods. If you would like further information about dogs diets and what should be in them, I would be happy to help. Just reply back to this same question and include everything that is in your dogs diet including brand names.

I hope this information helps,

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.