Dogs/bladder stones

Hi Patti ,i was hoping you could help me took my Maltese to the vet found out he has bladder stones ,the surgery cost $3000 dollars that i don't have do you have any other ideas ?please hurry

Hi John,

You didn't say the age of your dog, or variety of bladder stone (Struvite and Ammonium urate, or Calcium Oxalate stones). Struvite and Ammonium urate stones may be dissolved with a special diet. Calcium oxalate stones, on the other hand, generally need to be removed by surgery.  Talk to your vet to find out if a non-surgical option is available for your dog.

If the stone has lodged in the urethra, the condition could be a life or death matter that must be resolved immediately. If this is the case, talk to your vet about paying your bill off over a time period.

As far as payment options, a good first step is to talk to your regular vet. Ask your veterinarian if he or she will let you work out a payment plan. Many veterinarians are willing to work out a weekly or monthly payment plan so that you do not have to pay the entire cost of veterinary care up front. Another option is to contact local animal shelters or the Humane Society. Some shelters operate or know of local subsidized veterinary clinics or veterinary assistance programs. If you happen to live within driving distance to veterinary school, check with them to see if they offer discount services to the public. There are two special credit cards to apply for which help with medical bills (including veterinary bills) read about them here:

The following website link has a lot of links to sites offering financial help to pet owners. Each site has their own criteria to meet as well as an application process, so you'll need to sift through the list to find the ones that apply to you.

I hope I've been a help.
Bet of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.