Dogs/GSD Puppy

Dear Patti

I hope you doing well

5 days ago a friend of mine gave me GSD, this is the first time for me to be a dog owner. The Dog name is Lucy, a female GSD, she was born in 1st of April, 2015 which means she is now 49 days old, I got her when she was 44 days, my first question is it too early for me to have it? she loves to play and I spent around 4 hours per day with her, but the issue is that she is keep biting us, Myself, my wife, and my friends, how I can make her stop biting us? is it too early to start training her? I have been told that I should start with her training after she is 4 months old is that correct? I'm giving her milk with no fat is that okay or should I give her other kind of food?
please help me

Abdulrahman Chalabi

Hi Abdulrahman,

Congratulations on getting a puppy!

Six weeks (approximately 44 days) is a little young for a puppy to be taken from it's mother and litter mates. Ideally, one waits until the puppy is 8 to 10 weeks old.  Those extra two or three weeks are actually a very important period of education and socialization with her mother and littermates. But what's done, is done.

Young puppies have needle sharp teeth, and must learn not to bite their human family. Biting is normal behavior but just the same it's important for puppies to learn this lesson. Puppies learn about not biting too hard from their mother and litter mates. If one puppy bites too hard and another one loudly squeals, all the fun stops. If a puppy bites it's mother too hard, the lesson may be a bit harsher. So it's not at all early for you to start training your puppy now! Waiting until she's 4 months old is MUCH too long to wait! An untrained 4 month old puppy would mean a boatload of trouble, that goes double since you've never owned a dog before.

When you play with Lucy, allow her mouth on your hands. Continue play until she bites too hard. When she does, immediately give a high-pitched yelp, as though youíre hurt, and let your hand go limp. This should briefly startle Lucy and cause her to stop biting you, at least momentarily. (If yelping seems to have no effect, you can say ďNO!Ē in a stern voice instead.) Praise Lucy the moment she stops biting or for licking you. Resume the play. If Lucy bites you hard again, yelp again. If you find that yelping alone doesnít work, you can switch to a "time-out" from the fun. Time-outs are often very effective for stopping biting in puppies. When Lucy bites too hard, yelp loudly. Then, when she startles and turns to look at you or looks around, remove your hand. Either ignore her for 10 to 20 seconds (no eye contact or talking to her) or, if she starts biting you again, get up and move away for about 30 seconds. After the short time-out, return to your puppy and encourage her to play with you again. Itís important to teach her that gentle play continues, but painful play stops. Play with your puppy until she bites hard again. When she does, repeat the process.

When Lucy isnít really biting hard anymore, you can tighten up the rules a little. Require her to be even gentler. Yelp and stop play in response to moderately hard bites. Persist with this process of yelping and then ignoring your puppy or giving her a time-out for her hardest bites. As those disappear, do the same for his next-hardest bites, and so on, until Lucy can play with your hands very gently, controlling the force of her mouthing so that you feel little or no pressure at all. Everyone who plays with Lucy needs to do this. Consistency is very important when training a puppy! Be patient, Lucy is still very young, and might take a few weeks to learn this lesson.
Read more about teaching your puppy not to bite here:

Young puppies need to learn other important things besides not to bite. Read about other training you can start with Lucy:

The keys to getting a puppy trained is for you to be patient, consistent and persistent with her! Never hit her (dogs learn by being rewarded for things they did right! Not by being punished for what they did wrong!). Don't punish her for something that didn't just happen (your puppy will know you're upset with her, but not know why).

Feel free to write back if I can be of further help.

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.