Dogs/re- staffordshire terrier

Question
QUESTION: Hello Patti, My Staffordshire bull terrier dog (8years old) is currently in heat. I own two dogs both sisters from the same litter and both would tend to be a little quiet, during this time. However I noticed this evening she has had a significant weight loss!! Her bleed was heavier than I have ever noticed before? I checked to be sure it was heat and not perhaps a bleed from elsewhere, but it is definitely a heat. Her rib cage is not yet visable but her spine certainly is and the hair is standing along her whole back tonight. I have every intention of taking her to the local vets tomorrow, but I was wondering if I can do anything to ease her tonight? She does not seem to be in pain but she is quiet and down, although still wagging her tail.

ANSWER:
Hi Coralea,

It's good you're planning on taking your dog to the vet tomorrow, as that's to way to find out what's going on!

Usually, when weight loss exceeds 10% of the dog's normal body weight there's cause for concern. There are many things that can cause weight loss, ranging from parasites to chronic disease. Your vet will probably run blood tests and possibly want you to bring in a stool sample to help diagnose your dog.

For the here and now, try to make sure that she's comfortable, has been getting enough to eat and drink. It's really hard to tell when a dog is in pain. Not showing pain is a survival skill they have, so many times you don't know there's a problem until it just can't be concealed any longer. Tomorrow is just a few hours away, so she'll be getting the care she needs soon enough. If you haven't yet contacted your vet to make the appointment, that would be a good thing to do. You want to be sure that your vet will be able to see her tomorrow.

Best of luck!

Patti

QUESTION: Dear Patti, Not sure how to do the thankyou bit on here but wanted to be sure you got it! Thankyou for your fast response. I am VERY concerned about our Zara she is a beautiful loyal girl and im cross I have not noticed it sooner! from the side she looks completely normal but tonight I just noticed as she turned how NOT normal she is!! She looks ,well sick! I feel terrible she is having to feel this way tonight but the heater is on for them and tonight is quite warm. (I know when im sick I want heat and cuddles, both she has had ample of) she is now in the care of her sister in there own room. We will contact the vets in morning. I will update you ( if I can work out how) Kind regards for your help and YOUR TIME WITH THIS. Coralea.

ANSWER:
Hi Coralea,

You're very welcome. Just be careful not to put the heater too close to Zara. If it's a mild evening a blanket she can snuggle into might be all that's needed.

Don't beat yourself up over this. What matters is, as soon as you've noticed a problem you've take steps to have your dog seen by the vet.

Best of luck (and I would like to hear how it goes at the vet!)

Patti

QUESTION: Hi Patti, Zara was indeed very ill. She had a womb infection but was so anemic they could not operate right away. The vet said any other dog would not of survived. She was lucky she was a staff so she pulled through. I have her home now and a vet check tonight revealed how wonderful love cuddles and a lot of liver can do for a wee doggy. She was even happy to see the vet lol. Thankyou once again for giving me peace of mind in the middle of the night. I appreciate just being able to share with someone the worry even if you are the other side of the world lol.
Kind regards and best wishes, Coralea

Answer
Hi Coralea,

I'm glad things have worked out, and that Zara is on the mend!

Here is a simple recipe for a bone broth that's excellent added nutrition for a convalescing dog, or if your dog doesn’t have a great appetite:

http://www.k9instinct.com/blog/the-benefits-of-bone-broth-for-dogs

Best of luck!
Patti

Dogs

Patti