Dogs/Engorged Breasts

Question
mamma
mamma  
My Friends Dog Had A Litter About 4wks Ago. The Puppies Had To Be Removed From Mamma Due To She Was Becoming Aggressive Towards them. Now Her Breasts Are Engorged Greatly. Is There Anything I Can Do Until I Can Get Her To A Vet??

Answer
Hi Kellie,

Your friend's dog needs to be examined by a vet, don't put it off!! The dog needs to be treated immediately.

The dog may have a a bacterial infection of the milk ducts called Mastitis, which can lead to Gangrene. Mastitis can be a minor, inexpensive nuisance or a major, life threatening event.

Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti