We have a large family and my boyfriend is allergic to dogs, cats, hampsters, etc. He used to have a hypoallergenic dog years ago, and we are considering one for our 6, soon to be 7, kids. We are trying to compromise on a smaller mid size dog (something that full grown won't be more than about 25 lbs, but no smaller than about 20. Also, we want something that is not known for being a barker...only if someone comes to the door or approaches the kids in the yard. What is the best hypoallergenic dog that would fit this criteria?

Hi,   Although I have never owned one, the Xolo ( )  has been interesting me for awhile.  The hairless dogs are probably best for hypoallergenic, however, poodles and schnauzers are low in allergy sensitivity.   The reason I am giving these dogs is because they come in three sizes.  The smaller the dog, the more they bark in these breeds, so a mid size will proably be perfect for you.  The American Kennel Club has a list of hypoallergenic breeds, but make sure you read the temperament and care paragraphs.  Then do even more research by googling the breed you like.   Bichon Frize is a wonderful breed for a family and some of them go as large as 19 pounds, so that may be an option as well.
ps  website for AKC  is

Nancy Perry

You can ask me anything on dog training, dog breeding, dog grooming. What type of dog you should get. Pertinent facts about different breeds. I am also specifically knowledgeable about terriers and the diets that help maintain coat excellence. I have trained and helped owners train their dogs.

I have worked in dog training for 35 years. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years..

Certified trainer with Petsmart Certified Groomer with Petsmart

approximatedly 2 to three hundred clients since 1993