The thing is that soon enough, after a week or so, we will buy a young Bully Kutta (not a puppy, say 4 5 months). But I'm slightly worried.

We have kept a Bully Kutta before and as that dog was untrained, (that was our first dog so we lacked experience) it was one BAD dog! Whenever he used to play, he used to bite, bump and used to play as roughly as he would do with a fellow canine. For more detail, my arms were filled with marks from his biting.

Moreover, whenever he used to walk, he would pull so much that my hands started to hurt. Sometimes, when his leash used to get stick under his armpit, I would cautiously hold his arm up and take out the leash from below. Once I did it without caution and he barked and growled at me!

Whenever he used to eat, he would become highly aggressive, and not let me touch his food. He wanted to do everything his own way.

Whenever he was alone, he would destroy anything that crossed his path whether living or dead. I mean he destroyed my bike, our pipes and various other things. And if we played with him, he used to destroy us!

To sum up, he was an exceedingly difficult dog to keep. But from online articles, I learnt that I had not trained my dog properly. My dog thought that he was the boss, and I was a lower member of the pack! A Bully Kutta is already a very aggressive and assertive breed and we had actually created a monster!

Ironically, that dog ran away, never to be seen again!

So to prevent that experience from happening, I want to train my dog. But the biggest issue is boredom. How to release a dog's extra energy? I am a University student and I have a ton of other activities to look at. But I can give 2 and a half hours of energy burning time for my dog. So far, I have planned an hour of walking during early morning before my usual routine, so that while I'm away, he does not bug my family. Then at night when most dogs are active, I'll give him another walk/playtime for 1.5 hours so that at night, he will not get bored and destroy things due to hyperactivity.

I know I could be wrong but I'm no expert. So please help me in this regard.

1. How can a train a dog to be my subordinate without he being scared of me? I want to command respect and obedience not to draw fear. I hope there is a way to do that without being physical.

2. Though Bully Kuttas are boisterous, I must add that they do have one positive point that they are good for people who have an overall serious personality. My friend has a Bully Kutta and he has trained it so well that he is open in his house and whenever I enter his house, he is about to bark and charge towards me but when my friend shouts at him to get back, he at once obeys. And he also has a calm, non destructive demeanor.

3. I know that as compared with cats, dogs are highly social creatures. In my view, dogs should have companionship 24 hours a day. But how can a person do that? I mean a working class person cannot simply do that. But I have seen many working class people keep dogs and having no problem. In short, how to satisfy a dog in just 2.5, 3 hours? How to have the right combination of exercise and playtime to keep your dog mentally satisfied and prevent him to resort to hyperactive and malicious behaviors. But I should also add that I have 3 roosters. Can a dog be happy in the company of avian friends other than canine ones?!

I know that you will definitely say that I am unsuitable for being a dog owner, which I admit is. But right now, I'm am bound by some factors. I would have normally preferred to refuse the dog but right now, I have no choice.

Please help me!

Hi Raiden,

Getting a new dog or puppy is supposed to be a joyous experience, but you sound less than happy about getting your new puppy.  You say you have no choice in getting the dog, but just the same it sounds like the dog's care is up to you. With the dog's best interests in mind, you need to stand up and make it known that you simply can't get a dog at this time, either that or you can't be the person responsible for the training and socialization of the dog. Those are your two best options. I'm afraid that getting another dog is going to end up the same way that it ended up last time, and that isn't good for you or the dog.

The Bully Kutta  breed is an extremely dominant dog and is usually only recommended for experienced dog owners. They can be very difficult to handle if placed with the wrong owner. Having had problems with the behavioral issues with your first dog, maybe you need to take a step back, and reconsider getting another Bully Kutta dog, and consider another breed that's easier to keep and train.

Being a University student, you are very busy with your studies. My honest advice would be not to get a dog of any breed at this time. Puppies need so much time to train and socialize, and you don't get much of a second chance to train it right! Cut yourself a break, and put off getting a puppy until you can give it the time it requires! A dog needs more than two and a half to three hours of care and human contact a day. Even a trained adult dog will have behavioral issues if that's all the human contact it ever gets. Dogs do not need human company 24 hours a day, but they should not be left alone for more than 8 or 9 hours, especially if they are indoors since they will need to relieve itself.

There are some dog breeds that are better suited to your situation, that are less dominate, less aggressive, and easier to train than the Bully Kutta breed. Getting a different breed of dog could be a much happier experience for you. You can do a simple breed selection quiz and find a dog that's better suited to your lifestyle here:

One problem is the puppy you're about to get is already 4 or 5 months old. The optimum time to get a puppy is when it's 8 weeks old. At 4 or 5 months old, it probably has some very undesirable habits that will be hard to break, as you have already experienced with your first dog. The puppy needs training, but YOU need to be able to train it. If you have trouble doing this, you need to seek the help of a professional dog trainer, and then you must be diligent about working with your puppy at least twice a day, so that it actually gets trained! There is no short cut to this, and the longer you wait to get your dog trained, the harder it will become (which is why one should begin basic training at 8 weeks of age).

To combat boredom, your dog needs to be well exercised and spend time with you and your family. Bully Kuttas need to be taken on daily walks to satisfy their migration instinct. While out on the walk, practice training the dog having him walk heel beside or behind you, as in a dog’s mind the leader leads the way, and that leader needs to be the human! Only when the dog is well exercised, trained and socialized this breed be a very good family companion.

As far as the roosters go, a dog might be trained to leave them alone or even ignore them, but it depends on how well you train a dog. A dog won't ever see the roosters as companions, he'll see them as dinner! An untrained or bored  dog will probably always go after the roosters. Your best option is to not give your dog access to where the roosters are kept, by means of putting up a fence. I wouldn't trust a dog anywhere near the roosters without a fence.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.